Been an exhaustingly long day, but I finally got the car I’ve wanted for years-upon-years: a Jetta. I’m so happy.
My first anonymous compliment on Tumblr! Have I finally made it?
Thank you, though.
Out of utter desperation to watch some Preds hockey, a few friends and I drove 1,126 miles in two days to watch the Milwaukee Admirals (Baby Preds) play a back-to-back weekend set of games. It was a fantastic trip. Things I’ve learned:
- Milwaukee’s downtown architecture is fantastic. I love old, German-inspired architecture, and this city is full of it.
- It’s really cold in Milwaukee in January.
- Be sure to wear layers because it’s really cold in Milwaukee in January.
- It’s so cold in Milwaukee in January that their river freezes.
- The river that freezes runs through downtown Milwaukee, and because it’s so cold, the downtown is pretty desolate.
- In this frozen tundra that is known as downtown Milwaukee, there is a bronze statue of the Fonz from Happy Days. Of course he is giving the thumbs up, “Ayyyy.”
- To take shelter from Milwaukee’s cold, drink beer.
- There are lots of great local craft beers in Milwaukee, and I’m not talking Miller.
- Milwaukee craft brewers know how to make a great Amber beer. I tried three different local breweries’ versions on Amber ales, and they were all fantastic.
- Vegetarian options aren’t really a thing in Milwaukee.
- If you have a Milwaukee accent, I want to have a long conversation with you.
- Milwaukee loves the Packers. Like, in love with the Packers. Literally. Especially in the playoffs.
Hockey things I’ve learned (If you don’t like hockey, stop reading now):
- The Admirals apparently love shootouts. Both games over the weekend were decided in the shootout.
- I like the best-of-five shootout better than best-of-three because shootouts are fun.
- I really like a lot of the Admirals players, but you can tell they’re young. The future is bright for the Preds, but it may take some time.
- Preds fans, remember the name Kevin Henderson.
- Austin Watson is a big guy, but he was practically invisible both games.
- Ryan Ellis and Jon Blum should have a good fight for the final D spot on the Preds roster.
Edmonton OilersOklahoma City Barons were good because half of their team are current top-level NHLers.
- I don’t understand how the Oilers still can’t make the playoffs.
- The Oilers should be really excited about Justin Schultz. He’s the real deal.
- I’m still a big Jordan Eberle fan despite his goal being the late game-tying goal against the Ads.
- Oilers fans, Mark Arcobello is good. Maybe not NHL ready, but I think he’ll be there eventually.
- Oklahoma City Barons fans think my friends and I look like professional hockey players.
- Detroit’s farm team (Grand Rapids Griffins) has very little depth. There are a lot of life-long AHLers on that team with a few NHL-probable players (including Nyquist, Smith, Jurco, and Tatar).
- Nyquist and Tatar are really fast. I mean, crazy fast.
EDIT: It looks like a Milwaukee blog (OnMilwaukee) reblogged this with a few misconceptions about this post. Anyone from Brew City that sees this: please know that the comments about the city are mostly sarcastic and that I really enjoyed my time up there. Hope to make it back sooner than later.